Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 In Review

2012 saw me traveling more than I ever have in the past.  Once upon a time, my job might take me on the road 10 times a year.  This year, out of a possible 48 weeks (if you take out my vacation), I traveled 27 of those.  I even traveled the week of Thanksgiving.

This is not all of the room photos.  There were a few trips towards the end of the year where I simply forgot.  I had a lot on my mind.  More on that in a moment.

David made numerous jokes about how it was like having a girlfriend on the weekend only.  One stretch in the summer saw me gone 8 weeks in a row.  Here's where I went, in order:
  • Hazelwood, MO
  • Washington, DC with stops in Knoxville, TN and Bethesda, MD to see our brand new grandbaby (this was a combined work/family trip).
  • Laredo, TX
  • York, PA (with a side trip to Maryland to see my daughter and granddaughter)
  • Fort Worth, TX (I only count this local trip because I had to stay at the hotel where my company was hosting our annual conference)
  • Omaha, NE
  • Amarillo, TX
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Santa Rosa, CA
  • Oakland, CA (Vacation with David)
  • Yosemite National Park (Vacation with David)
  • San Francisco, CA (Vacation with David)
  • Houston, TX
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Omaha, NE (again)
  • Lubbock, TX
  • Georgetown, TX
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Victoria, TX
  • Corpus Christi, TX
  • Omaha, NE (yes, again)
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Alexander City, AL
  • Pensacola, FL (Vacation with Kendall, my parents & my niece)
  • Hammond, IN
  • Malta, NY (Vacation with David to see our son)
  • Cooperstown, NY (Vacation)
  • Miami, FL
  • Dickson, TN
  • Franklin, TN
  • Columbia, TN
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Missoula, MT (with David)
  • Edwardsville, IN
  • Chambersburg, PA (with a side trip to Maryland to visit my daughter and granddaughter)
The idea behind this blog was to force me to get out.  Get out of the hotel.  Get out of my own way.  Over the 12 years I have traveled for work I spent the bulk of that in the hotel watching television and/or working.  As much as I hate to travel, that didn't help.  So this year I was going to get out and do something, find out what these places had to offer.  So I did.  And now I can't imagine ever going back to my old ways.

I saw a bunch of plays and musicals - both community theatre and national tours of Broadway shows.  I saw the Texas Rangers play in Oakland and San Francisco.  David and I took our first real vacation after 25 years of marriage.  I went to a couple of interesting museums and ate at a few good (and a couple of bad) places featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  For the first time ever, I looked forward to traveling because I looked forward to exploring something other than my hotel.

Best Work Outing:
This would probably have to be the two times at Jersey Boys in Pittsburgh.  First time was planned, the second just two days later was spur of the moment.

Worst Work Outing:
The Samuel Beckett plays I saw in San Francisco, Xanadu was a close second.

Favorite City of 2012 - Work Trip:
Omaha was a nice surprise, especially since I went three times.  They are already on the calendar for 2013 so I am going to have to start being creative.

Least Favorite City of 2012 - Work Trip:
Miami.  I still don't like this city and this was my third time there. 

Best Vacation Outing:
Sitting in "they yard" at Alcatraz watching the sun set behind the Golden Gate Bridge.

Worst Vacation Outing:
The Texas Rangers game at Oakland.  The stadium was awful and the man in front of me was completely obnoxious.  Also, Texas lost.  Badly.

In the beginning I was writing three blog posts a week.  Now I am down to about once a week.  Life sometimes gets in the way.  I still have a few from 2012 to write about but I have been busy.  This is because the trip with David to Missoula, Montana back in October resulted in us deciding to move there. 

So this coming Wednesday, we will get in the car and begin the 1,798 mile trip from our current Grapevine, Texas home to our new one in Stevensville, Montana.

I won't be posting for a couple of weeks.  Be patient with me because I will be back once I am settled in our new home and back out on the road.  I already have trips set up for Phoenix, Bakersfield, CA and New Orleans.  I think the strangest thing will be returning to the Dallas area as a tourist.  This is something I will do 4-5 times a year as part of my job (I am taking my current job with me).  Also, there will be lots of exploring in Montana to do. 
So as my dad used to say, "Hang in there, we'll see you on the flip side".

No comments:

Post a Comment