Friday, February 24, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

I really don't like to travel.  I know people who have said that but when you start talking about vacation, not business travel, their tune changes.  Not me.  I don't like to travel.  When not on the road I work from home most days and even get resentful about making the commute to office.  This isn't a working in my pajamas thing either.  I get up and get dressed, put on makeup, fix my hair (most days).  There is just something about being home that I love. 

My house isn't special.  It was built in the mid-70's and looks like it.  It isn't particularly large.  But I love it.  I love looking out the windows at my neigborhood.  I love the configuration of items in each room.  I love knowing where D and I will sit to watch television or to eat dinner.  I know these may sound simple or even boring but they aren't to me.  When I reach my suitcase down from the shelf to pack for a trip, my dog sulks under the vanity while I pack.  I feel that way too, sulky.  But go I must and go I will.

Before the second week of June I will go to Severn, Maryland; Washington DC;  Laredo, Texas;  Omaha, Nebraska;  York, Pennsylvania; San Francisco, California and Amarillo, Texas...not necessarily in that order.   I know that there are people out there who travel more than I do and all I can say is I hope they love it.  I will make the best of it when I can and when I am not on the road I will be working on quilts and other crafts and will share some of these along with my adventures on the road.

To begin, let's establish the highs and lows for me up to now.  I began traveling with my job about 11 years ago and have been to quite a few places in that time.  Some were great, some were, well, awful.  Sometimes a great place was tarnished by my experience and substandard places made better by a great experience with my customer or the city.  As of today, California holds both my best and my worst:  San Francisco and Imperial.   Next time I will tell you what I love about San Francsico and what I don't about Imperial.

No comments:

Post a Comment